Sunday, May 1, 2011

Final Organic Blog

Our final blog assignment for Organic Chemistry was to go to Christina White’s (U. Illinois) webpage and find a publication to read and comment on. After a little browsing, I found an article, titled Synthesis of Complex Allylic Esters via C-H Oxidation vs C-C Bond Formation, that interested me. In this publication, there are many many reactions and compounds, but there were two things that caught my eye when looking for something related to our class. (Sorry I don't have any illustartions, I couldn't copy or save the pictures. I don't know if it was the article, my computer, or me, but if you would like to see them, follow the link below.) The first was the table on page 2, that shows linear allylic oxidation. The general scheme shows a linear alkene reacted with a carboxylic acid to form an ester. The article takes the specific esters in the table and explains how to prepare each and talks about their specific properties. The other thing that I found interesting were the schemes on page 7 and 8. Both schemes show two paths to arrive to the same molecule, which is something I have always found neat about organic chemistry. The scheme on 7 has one step that uses a Grignard reagent, something we learned about not too long ago, and the scheme on 8 uses a Grubbs catalyst, something we will have learned about by the time anyone reads this. Those were the two steps of all the reactions that stood out to me, but the publication was full of reactions and catalysts that we have learned about in organic chemistry.


Signing off one last time
-The High School Chemist


Source
Vermeulen, Nicolass A. et al. Synthesis of Complex Allylic Esters via C-H Oxidation vs C-C Bond Formation. JACS, 2010, 132, 11323. http://www.scs.illinois.edu/white/index.php?p=publications (accessed May 1, 2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment