Monday, April 11, 2011

Isobutyl propionate

Our assignment for Organic this week was to research and report on an ester that was assigned to us. I had isobutyl propionate (for the sake of length, I will abbreviate it IP), on which I was surprised to find a lot of information. IP has a molecular formula C7H14O2 and a molecular weight of 130.185. This ester is a colorless clear liquid, has a specific gravity of 0.86500 to 0.87100 at 25.00 °C, a melting point of -71.00 to  -70.00 °C at 760.00 mm Hg, and a boiling point of 137.00 to 138.00 °C. at 760.00 mm Hg. I expected to find this general information, but I did not expect to find information such as the odor description at 100% being, and I quote, "fruity green ether sweet tutti frutti banana" and the taste description at 10.0 ppm being "sweet, fruity, banana, tutti frutti, with rummy nuances." After further reading, it made sense when I found that IP is used as a flavor and fragrance agent. Propanoic acid and 2-methylpropanol would be the carboxylic acid and alcohol pair from which this ester is derived. IP could be reacted with NH3 to form the primary amide propanamide. That was a lot of information and I hope you find it interesting. Here is a picture of IP if you are interested.




-The High School Chemist


Sources
http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1020241.html
http://www.caslab.com/Isobutyl_propionate_CAS_540-42-1/

1 comment:

  1. The information your provided on your ester was interesting and helpful. I thought it was neat to find that esters were used as flavorings as well. I had no idea before I did the research on mine. It was also helpful that you added a picture of isobutyl propionate. It seems like a lot of us had difficulty finding a reaction involving the ester being converted into a carboxylic acid derivative. It would have also been helpful if you could have found a picture of the reaction that produces your ester. Great job! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete